The Breakfast Club Movie Review By: Ethan Trinh

 First off, I have the movie poster in my room. Second off, I fricking love this 80s vibe to The Breakfast Club. It was the 80's and it was fantastic. Third off— Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy, Paul Gleason were the general misfits who had a rebel inside themselves, they however had a marvelous bond with one another later in the making of the drama. I loved John Hughes work, it’s artsy and cool! It really saddens my heart he’s gone but he lives on spiritually to become one of the truest filmmakers in the cinema’s history! I really wanna visit the high school that was filmed in this iconic coming of age film, it’s on my bucket list! John Bender, Andrew Clark, Brian Johnson, Claire Standish, Allison Reynolds... the high school students who spent the whole Saturday in detention at the library of their high school while Richard Vernon (the Dean of students or principal) aka Paul Gleason keeps a close eye on them. All of these characters were someone to have in common with in each stages of our lives. The soundtrack is miraculous, the acting from the main cast was jaw-dropping, left me in awe. However, the only thing I didn't agree with John Hughes, it was "Sixteen Candles", I was not really fond with that creation of his character. Even his name was remotely dissatisfying, I mean really... "Long Duk Dong", it was pretty racist if you ask me. I still respect Mr Hughes for making one of my all time favorite movies on my list. Just didn't appreciate the stereotypical Asian character. Also to add that the Asian character thats played by: Gedde Watanabe is actually Asian American descent like myself. He's born in Ogden, Utah and "Sixteen Candles" was one of few or many reasons why Asian American actors aren't being showed vast criticism or having to play racial roles. Still, I love Mr Hughes works like---Home Alone (1990) which was written by him, but Directed by Chris Columbus. And its sequel, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992). I don't blame John Hughes though, most of Watanabe's roles are based on East Asians with heavy accents, not just that particular film with Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall. That's all I gotta state, Thank you for reading for what I have to say on my or our favorite film.

Grade: A+ 
Rating: 10/10



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wonder Boys Movie Review By: Ethan Trinh

Good Will Hunting Movie Review By: Ethan Trinh